Ask Your Advocate – Federal assistance for crop loss?


If I suffer crop losses because of extreme weather, what can the federal government do to assist?

The United States Department of Agriculture offers disaster assistance programs that can assist farms in the event of crop loss and other calamities.  The UDSA Farm Service Agency administers disaster assistance through their local and regional offices. Wine grapes are covered through the Tree Assistance Program as authorized through the 2014 Farm Bill. More information can be found here: Tree Assistance Program

I want to start a distillery, can I have the production facility in the same area as my winery production facility?

Any distilling operation must be in a completely different building from any wine production facility.

Questions? Contact Michael Kaiser at or 202-223-5172.

See more articles from The News Post

Circular New Logo (1)